Thursday, April 2, 2009

Presenting Pre reading and While reading activities

This semester's simulated teaching is a little different from last semester's. This semester, some of my classmates including some input on what they will teach. For example, they would explain what characters are before they start with pre reading. This time round, the time also seem to be very limited for us to present our simulated teaching.

I choose to do on 'Characters and character traits' for the play The Ring Doesn't Fit by Tan Kee Aun. Needless to say, character is an element that was choosen by many of my classmates to teach. I hope my activity has been a little different compared to the rest but the pre reading is still the same - identification of characters.

I started with identification of characters and underlining the adjectives that describes the characters. I confirmed the answers given by students from the activity.

My while reading is a continuation from my pre reading task. After that,the identification of characters and words that describes them, I pointed out the events in the extract that can also show the characters' traits. For example, Adelyn's demanding nature can be seen when she wants the durian badly and was furious with Paul for not collecting them. I guided the students using the events in the extract to point out the characters' traits. Among the responses are responsible, loyal and loving. After the discussion, students are require to fill in the mind map the characters' personality traits. Students wil be able to answer based on the words that were discussed during the pre reading stage.

I will be receiving the evaluation forms from my peers in 2 hours time. I am excited to see how did I perform. Suggestions for improvement is most welcomed. I am aware that my voice projection may not be firm and clear enough.

The experience of performing simulated teaching is undeniably beneficial for me as a future teacher. It exposes me to the scenario in a teaching classroom and the preparation needed for a class. My students now are my friends, it would definately be different in the real classroom. More practices to teach before I graduated is needed to prepare myself. Simulated teaching helps me increase my confidence to stand in front of a class to teach. The nervousness is still there but it is better now. I should work on eye contact, as I focus more to the evaluator, not the students, to see if I have done anything wrong. My students would want to feel appreciated that their teacher pays attention to each and everyone of them.

May this experience be a lesson for me.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Yvonne.. personally i do like your style presenting in front of our class..(Cool!) even though you are nervous, you don't seem as it is.. you are able to control the class and i realized that everytime you present, everybody will pay attention..i think you have the skills of being a good teacher..gud luck!

    ReplyDelete